Choosing the Right Contractor
A GUIDE TO CHOOSING A QUALIFIED AND COMPETENT SWIMMING POOL CONTRACTOR
- Should price be the main factor in choosing a competent Contractor?
- Don’t make the mistake of assuming that all pools are exactly the same and if one Contractor’s price is higher he is making more money. The price of a pool is determined by much more than just the size and shape of that pool. Unfortunately, many contractors don’t include important factors that affect cost in the actual estimate they give you. This also means that you can get hit with hidden charges after construction has begun. After
alldo you buy the cheapest cars and clothes ? Nobecause they don’t last as long as one’swith more quality. Some important things to consider are:
- Quality of Materials
- Quality Craftsmanship and Craftsmen
- Design Expertise and thoroughness of the Design
- Strength and Durability of the Product
- Customer Service and Service Department
- Work to be included
- Ben Franklin once said, “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
Tipton Builder’s Inc. estimates always include the highest quality materials available, superior craftsmanship, expert design, and unparalleled customer service. You also get the knowledge and expertise of more than 35 years of custom pool building experience. And we never submit a low introductory bid with the intent of making expensive changes later. At Tipton Builder’s Inc. we will not cut corners or provide a cheaply built pool just to make the sale. Our pools are built thicker, stronger and to more
- How long has your chosen Contractor been in business?
- Many Contractors will lie to you about how long they have been in business and will claim the time they worked somewhere else or under another company name.
- If a Contractor lies about how long he has been in business it should throw up a red flag because if he will lie about that he will lie about anything.
- To find out how long someone has been in business you can find this on the State of Tennessee’s website at https://tnbear.tn.gov/Ecommerce/FilingSearch.aspx by typing in the name of the business.
- You should want a proven Contractor that has been in business for a long time.
- The longer he has been in business under the same name proves his ability to satisfy customer’s and provide a good product otherwise he couldn’t survive in business.
- If he has worked under more than one Business name beware because the name change normally represents he had problems and had to start over.
Tipton Builder’s Inc. has been in business since 1978 and is still under the same ownership proving longevity through high quality and complete customer satisfaction.
- Is your Contractor honest and does he have integrity?
- If a Contractor is honest he will provide you with complete plans and descriptions of the work he is proposing to do for you.
- His descriptions should provide all the details of the construction and should be his own description and not a copy of someone else’s.
- We at Tipton began providing a very detailed work description over 20 years ago and it has been plagiarized by several local pool builder’s who by doing so have proved they believe we are the best pool builder’s and they have to copy us.
- We have copyrighted our written work description to protect ourselves from plagiarism from another pool builder in
a effortto stop them from trying to convince homeowner’s that they are us or equal to us so if someone provides you with a Proposal like ours please let us know so we can stop them from using it any more.
- You will see our copyright at the foot of each page of our Proposals and Contracts.
- Plagiarism should also send up a red flag that when someone does this they are incapable and are without integrity.
Tipton Builder’s Inc. will provide you a complete Proposal containing a full description of the work offered as well as the work to be provided by the owner. It is our commitment to detail, to our customer’s, the scope of work that we are proposing to provide as well as to detail what the Customer is responsible for providing. We believe this effort creates the standards to which the Customer can create his expectations and ensures Tipton Builder’s Inc. the ability to meet the Customer’s expectations thus creating a smooth and rewarding relationship for both.
- Will your Contractor be in business to back up your pool’s guarantee?
- 50% of new businesses fail before the end of the fifth year.
- Structural and mechanical guarantees are worthless if your builder goes bankrupt and is no longer there to stand behind the product and fix items that fail within the warranty.
- without warranty, you will have to pay out of your own pocket for all repairs.
- Should any future liability claims arise you will be totally responsible for them if your Contractor is no longer in business.
Tipton Builder’s Inc. has been in business since 1978 and has plans for continued success in the East Tennessee area.
- Is your Contractor fully insured?
- A minimum of one million dollars of general liability insurance and workers compensation are recommended.Anything less puts the owner at risk.Don’t just ask the builder if he has the insurance but requires him to provide you with a certificate of insurance.
Tipton Builder’s Inc. is fully insured and will provide an insurance certificate to each customer that requests it.
- Is your Contractor licensed?
- Never use a builder who cannot show you his general contractor’s license from The State Of Tennessee. Always require that your builder furnish all permits required for the pool construction.
- You can check to see that a Contractor is licensed at http://verify.tn.gov/.
- You can check up on a Contractor by emailing Contractors.Home-Improvement@TN.Gov.
Tipton Builder’s Inc. has been licensed General Contractor since 1978 and also holds an electrical registration making us able to provide the electrical work in most of Tennessee.
- Is your Contractor nationally recognized as a reputable contractor?
- Only the most respected of pool contractors are nationally recognized by trade magazines or national organizations.
The Association of Pool and Spa Professionals is the swimming pool industries trade organization.The APSP has set industry standards for pool construction and now actually certifies pool construction companies as being qualified and competent.In order to obtain certification from the
Tipton Builder’s Inc has also been chosen to Aqua Magazine’s Top 100 in the US.
Tipton Builder’s Inc owns its own place of business at 5708 N. Broadway for over 25 years.
- Does your Contractor have a place of business?
- If your builder works out of his home or truck it can be an indication that he is not dedicated to the business and it makes it very easy to pack-up and move, leaving his customer’s in a lurch should he see a failure or problem with your project. Choose a builder with roots in the community and has a dedication to his customers.
- Does your Contractor offer someone dedicated to warranty and service?
- Quality builders have a service manager with a trained and certified staff to address warranty and service issues.
- You should want your Contractor to be able to provide you with future repairs and service for your pool since he would be the one the most familiar with it.
Tipton Builder’s Inc has the largest service department in East Tennessee with well-trained technicians prepared to provide you with top quality pool service or repairs.
- Is your Contractor familiar with the latest technology?
- Builders who belong to major groups such as AQUATECH stay on the cutting edge of advancements in technology. They understand all aspects of the pool industry.
Tipton Builder’s Inc technicians stay on the cutting edge of technology through continuing education provided by the manufacturer’s of all the major brands of swimming pool equipment.
- Is it fairly easy to get the salesperson on the phone and does he return phone Calls?
- If you have a hard time talking to the salesperson or owner of a company prior to your purchase how hard will it be, after construction starts or a problem arises, to get them on the phone or to your home?
Tipton Builder’s Inc strives to be accessible by phone or email.
- Is your Contractor seem more than knowledgeable in pool construction and in attempting to sell you a pool and does he go over all the pool construction and options thoroughly?
- You should choose a Contractor that provides you with the most options
and standsready to completely describe each so that you have a clear understanding of what is available so you can choose the items you want on your pool. Nothing could be worse thatbuilding a pool and then finding out there whereoptions available that you would have liked to have had onyour pool but they wern’toffered to you.
- Lots of pool builder’s want to build the same thing every time and do not want to offer options that they don’t understand or want to take the time to learn about so they will not offer them or when asked will just say you don’t want that on your pool.
Tipton Builder’s Inc stays up to date on all the new products and methods available utilizing all the latest technology and advancements made today and tomorrow.