Now that you’ve decided to take the plunge and become a swimming pool owner, you want to know how long does it take to build a pool. That is kind of like asking, “so how much does a car cost?” There is a myriad of factors that go into the costs of a car and the length of time to build a pool.
The swimming pool contractors from Tipton Pools in Knoxville, TN offer this yardstick of the average length of time from a shovel in the ground until bodies in your pool enjoying themselves!
Plan on the pool project taking — on average three months. This may be shorter — or longer — depending on the construction material you choose, how much landscaping needs to be done, the accessories you want and even the soil in which the pool will be situated.
How long does it take to build a pool?
Here is a bit of a breakdown so you can have an idea of when you will be swimming.
- It can take up to four weeks for the design process for the project. This is from first meeting with the pool contractor to him or her showing you the design
- Plan for up to six weeks to obtain all the permits to have your pool constructed. Many times, getting permits means going before the town board and that means you need to get on their calendar — that could add to the time
- If all goes well, the excavation could be done in a couple of days. It’s sometimes best to plan for a week, just in case there are any underground issues.
- Two to three weeks for the steel, plumbing and electrical to be put into the ground and that may be shorter — or longer — depending on the coordination of the contractor team.
- Now comes the actual pool part! Plan for up to three weeks for the gunite to be poured and cured. A vinyl or fiberglass pool will take a shorter time to install because they essentially come from the manufacturer ready to go.
- Final landscaping and wrap up and adding custom features can take between one and four weeks.
It may seem like a long time to wait for a time in the family pool, but you want to ensure the project is done correctly from start to finish and that is a given when you work with one of our pool professionals. Give us a call today and let’s get that project underway!