In Tennessee you pay for air conditioning for so many months of the year and you may wonder if you can afford to have a swimming pool or hot tub? You certainly know that swimming in a pool is a great way to beat the heat, but can you afford it? The swimming pool contractors from Tipton Pools in Knoxville, Tennessee offer money-saving tips for Knoxville pool owners. NOTE: these tips are ideal for any swimming pool owner anywhere in the country!
The next time we, or your pool contractor pays a visit, ask for ways you can save money on your swimming pool operating costs. After all you don’t want to swim and have the worry about how you’re going to pay for the pool in the back of your mind, do you?
Money-saving tips for Knoxville pool owners
Here are a few ways you can save money on your pool ownership:
- When the pool is being constructed, ask for four-inch ridged insulation. This type of insulation reduces heat loss and saves money.
- Having programmable thermostats and other pool equipment — like the pool pump and filter — make it easier to schedule turn-on and turn-off times. Running pool equipment during the off-peak hours will save money and programming them to turn on during that time will save money on operating costs.
- Your safety fence or privacy hedge or even your outdoor living space can act as a wind break in addition to its original use. Stopping the flow of air across the swimming pool will lessen the rate of water evaporation. Using a swimming pool cover will also help with water evaporation.
- Turn the water heater down. In some states you may never need to heat the pool water, but if you have a pool heater, keep the temperature at around 78 degrees. This is comfortable for swimming and will conserve energy.
- Replace energy-gobbling pool equipment with new “green” energy efficient systems. If your pool is more than five years old, chances are a new high efficiency gas heater could quickly pay for itself in utility bill savings. If you have a single speed pool pump, replacing that with a single speed pump will be one of the biggest money-saving things you can do.
- One of the biggest things you can do to save money — and water and chemical usage — is to use a swimming pool cover.
Ask us for more money saving tips and advice when we pay our next service visit.