Want to regale friends and family with your stellar knowledge about swimming pool fun facts? Of course you do! If you’ve closed the pool for the season, but it’s still warm enough to entertain friends poolside, the swimming pool contractors from Tipton Pools in Knoxville, TN offer this list of fun pool trivia that you can stump your friends with during an evening of friendship and fun.
Swimming pool fun facts
- Sixty-five percent of people in the US don’t know how to swm
- Elephants can swim up to 20 miles daily
- Niagara Falls has enough water to fill all the swimming pools in the US in fewer than three days
- An hour of rigorous swimming will burn 650 calories. Swimming burns more calories than walking or riding a bike.
- Swimming works all of your body’s major muscles
- More than 50% of all world class swimmers suffer shoulder pain
- The breast stroke is the slowest swim stroke
- The fastest swim stroke is the crawl
- Competitive swimmers swim up to five hours a day, seven days a week. This equates to about twelve miles per day.
- An Olympic pool holes about 850,000 gallons of water.
- Florida is the only state in the US to legislate who can teach swim classes.
- The breast stroke is the oldest known swim style
- Ancient drawings in Egypt depicted people swimming — back in 2500 BC!
- Benjamin Franklin invented swim fins
- Swimming became an Olympic event in 1896 (for men only) Women participated in 1912
- Esther Williams, an actress, make synchronized swimming popular
- Synchronized swimming became an Olympic event in 1984
- The Titanic was the first ocean liner to have a swimming pool
Have fun with this trivia the next time you gather your friends for a poolside party. Regale them with your unqiue, and sometimes arcane, knowledge of swimming pool lore, fun facts and trivia.
If you’re considering owning a pool in 2018, now is the time to give us a call to get started on researching and planning your project.